How the School Counselor Can Help
- Instruction: Lessons guided by Tennessee State School Counseling Standards and ASCA Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success. Topics include:
- Identifying and managing emotions
- Social skills
- Problem solving
- Conflict resolution
- Character education
- Study and test taking skills
- Bullying prevention
- & more
- School-wide activities: Events and activities to build a positive school climate and foster academic, career, and social/emotional development.
- Career Week
- Kindness Week
- Academic pep rallies
- Counseling – Individual and group brief counseling to support students during situations that impede success. Brief counseling is present oriented and goal focused, limited to 6-8 weeks. School counselors to not provide long term counseling addressing psychological disorders. School counselors are trained to recognize and respond to student mental health needs and assist students and families seeking resources.
- Appraisal and advisement - Appraisal and advisement is a two-part process. School counselors assist students to understand their abilities, interests, skills, and achievement. Secondly, school counselors make recommendations based on the appraisal of test inventories and other data.
- Consultation – share strategies supporting student achievement with parents, teachers, other educators and community organizations
- Collaboration – work with other educators, parents and the community to support student achievement
- Referrals – support for students and families to school or community resources for additional assistance and information